- 4 chicken breasts (skinned, de-boned and diced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 250 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 50 g flour
- 250ml milk
- 1 chicken stock cube (crumbled)
- 15-20 ml lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 400 g puff pastry - or make your own (see below)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Fry the mushrooms in the butter in a large saucepan until done; put
- Brown the chicken cubes in the olive oil.
- Stir in the flour and cook for a another minute.
- Add the mushrooms and stir.
- Remove from heat and add the milk and stock cube.
- Return to heat and bring to boil, stirring continuously till the
- Remove from heat, add the lemon juice, salt and pepper and allow to
- Roll out the pastry to a square of approximately 20 cm.
the chicken filling down the centre of the pastry. Cut the pastry into
1,5 cm strips on each side of the filling - see diagram.
- Brush the edges of the strips with beaten egg. Fold the 3 cm strips
in first and then the rest, alternately from each side, across the filling
to give a plaited effect.
- Place on a greased baking tray and brush with beaten egg.
- Bake at 190°C for 40 - 45 minutes.
- Place on a serving platter and garnish with lettuce, lemon and parsley.
Serve with a fresh green salad.
Recipe from Irene Fricke.
- 250g flour
- 2 ml salt
- 60 g margarine (cut into small blocks)
- 65g butter (cut into small blocks)
- 25-75 ml cold water
Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and rub in
butter and margarine. Add enough cold water to form a firm dough. Knead
lightly and leave to rest for 30 minutes.