To make your own sundial, follow these
- Firstly, decide on the type
of sundial you want to build.
- Then, find the latitude and
longitude of the place where you want to put your dial.
- Next, determine "True North"
for the spot where the sundial will be placed. Don't use a compass
for this, since there may be a big difference between magnetic north
and "true north". The magnetic deviation for Pretoria is
- Now, design your dial. Make a small cardboard model first, particularly
if you intend to use expensive materials for your dial.
- If your dial is a directional dial, include the equation of time
in your design.
- If your dial is an altitude dial, include some instructions on how
to use it.
Equation of Time