Instructions to build the model in the
- Decide on the approximate size of your dial, lets say 300 x 300
- More important, decide on the base length of your style, lets choose
- Calculate (or measure) the side opposite the angle representing
your latitude (for Pretoria that would be 60 mm if the base length
is 138 mm).
- In the middle of a rectangle 60 mm high, draw half a circle with
diameter 60 mm.
- Fill in the hour lines as for a equatorial dial.
- Place this long strip on one edge of your template and mark the
- On the 12 o'clock line, measure a distance equal to the base of
your style (138 mm for this template).
- From that spot, draw straight lines to the hour markers.
- Gently score the edge of the style and fold it over.
- Glue it to the 12 o'clock line.
- Test your dial in the sun.